Skip to main content

Second adult rebate

Who can claim

If you are the only person who is liable to pay the Council Tax on your home and are of state pension retirement age, but share your home with one or more persons who are over the age of 18, you can claim Second Adult Rebate for them if they:

  • are not paying you rent for living in your home
  • do not have to pay the Council Tax
  • are not your spouse or partner
  • have a low gross income

Second Adult Rebate cannot be granted if the claimant has a partner resident in the property, unless the partner is discounted e.g. because they are a full time student.

Second Adult Rebate is calculated differently from main Council Tax Reduction. It is based on the combined gross income of all the second adults living in the property.

Calculating your rebate

The rebate is awarded on a percentage basis reduction of your Council Tax Bill:

  • 25% reduction if all second adults are in receipt of Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credit - either Guarantee Credit or Savings Credit.
  • 15% if all second adults combined gross income is less than £215.00
  • 7.5% if all second adults combined gross income is between £215.01- £279.00

Any Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (income based), Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance will be ignored in any calculation of the second adult’s gross income.

How to apply

The Council Tax payer can apply for second adult rebate online.

If you are unable to complete the form you can call us on 01462 474597.