Skip to main content

Domestic abuse and housing

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, or if you think that someone else might be experiencing abuse, you can get help or advice by contacting us or any of the other organisations listed on our Domestic Abuse Support page.

You have legal rights to protect you in your own home, whether you rent or own. If possible seek advice before you leave your home permanently. However, if you feel that you or your family are in immediate danger, you must leave immediately.

If you need urgent help and are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the Police. Domestic abuse is a crime.

Help from North Herts Council

If you feel that you would be unsafe remaining at home because of domestic abuse, please contact the Housing Options team through the Housing Assistance Referral Portal or call us on 01462 474000.

If you are pregnant or have children with you, councils by law have to provide you with emergency housing, unless you don't qualify due to immigration restrictions.

If you are single, councils will only provide emergency housing if they think that you are vulnerable because of the abuse due to physical or mental health problems.

Help for local authority tenants

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and you are a tenant of a local authority or housing association, you should contact your landlord immediately as they will be able to help you.

SADA (Survivors Against Domestic Abuse)

We work in partnership with SADA, a local organisation, which provides support and crisis intervention for people experiencing domestic abuse.

The SADA team offers support for victims, survivors, and their families, this includes:

  • a safe environment to report abuse
  • access to legal, financial, and housing advice
  • emotional support 
  • help installing additional home security features
  • emergency accommodation

SADA supports both men and women and their families.

For more information on SADA or to talk to one of their support workers, please contact them on 01438 242666 or email

Safer Places

Safer Places provides refuge accommodation in locations in North Herts for women, children and men fleeing domestic abuse, as well as support and information.

Please visit Safer Places or call their helpline on 03301 025811, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Moving out of the area

You can seek homelessness assistance and help from any council if you are at risk in your home and are unable to remain there because of domestic abuse. All councils have a legal duty to provide you with advice and assistance and may be able to provide you with temporary emergency accommodation.

If you are too frightened to stay within the North Herts district, it is possible for you to apply to any other local authority.