Skip to main content


If you are homeless or worried about becoming homeless, contact us as soon as possible using our Homelessness and Housing Advice Portal. We stand a much better chance of being able to help you the earlier you get in touch.

This page outlines the type of assistance we can offer you. More detailed information is set out in the leaflet below.

In cases of real emergency only, we can be contacted outside of office hours on 0300 777 4125.

How we will help

If you are threatened with homelessness or are homeless, we will work with you to help you to try and secure accommodation. This could be accommodation in the private rented sector, lodgings, supported or hostel accommodation, or accommodation with family or friends. 

If you qualify for social housing, we will help you to apply. Demand for social housing is very high however, and you are likely to face a long wait for accommodation, dependent on your circumstances.

Once we have assessed your housing situation, we will produce a personal housing plan with you. This will set out the steps that the Council will take and those that you will be expected to take to try and resolve your housing situation. 

These steps might include mediation with family or friends, negotiation with your landlord, support to claim benefits, advice on tenancy rights or debt, or help with securing accommodation in the private rented sector.

The duty to accommodate

The Council only has a duty to find you settled accommodation if we believe that you are in priority need. This may be because you have dependent children with you, you are pregnant, you are a care leaver or you are vulnerable for some other reason.

You are likely to be housed initially in temporary accommodation until we are able to find you settled housing, which may be either social housing or accommodation in the private rented sector.

Children aged under 18

Children under the age of 18 are still the responsibility of their parents. If you are aged under 18 and are worried about homelessness, we will work closely with Herts Young Homeless and Hertfordshire County Council’s Children’s Services to help you to remain in the family home wherever possible.

More information

The support that the Council gives you is set out in law and there are certain steps and processes that legally we must undertake. Homelessness law is complex and our housing officers will do their best to explain it to you.