Skip to main content

Housing for over 55s

If you are over 55 years old, there may be additional accommodation options available to you. 

If you have a support need but wish to continue living independently, you might wish to consider sheltered accommodation in the district. Sheltered accommodation (also known as Retirement Living) is self-contained, usually one bedroom properties or studio apartments with some communal facilities such as a shared lounge and laundrette. Accommodation is managed by a resident or mobile warden.

If you need help with cooking, housework or personal care, support is offered in extra care, or flexicare, schemes in the district. Hertfordshire County Council Adult Care Services will help to assess the level of support that you might need.

To apply for either of these types of accommodation, you need to apply to join the Common Housing Register.