Skip to main content


If your landlord wants to evict you from their property, there are strict procedures that they must follow depending on the type of tenancy agreement you have. If they don’t, they may be guilty of illegally evicting or harassing you.

If you are a social housing tenant or renting privately, your landlord must usually give you written notice and get a court order in order to evict you. If you live in the same accommodation as your landlord, they won’t need to get a court order but need to give you reasonable notice to leave.

The most common types of evictions are ‘section 21 evictions’ which are used to end an assured shorthold tenancy. The landlord doesn’t have to have a reason for wanting you to leave.

It usually takes a few months for the eviction process to go through court so don’t feel pressured into leaving your accommodation without first seeking advice from Citizens Advice or the Council. 

We will check that your landlord has followed the correct notice procedures. If they have not, any eviction may be deemed illegal.

For up-to-date information on tenancies and the eviction process, visit the Shelter and GOV.UK websites.

Contact us

Contact us for assistance through our Homelessness and Housing Advice Portal:

Rent arrears

If you are in rent arrears, it is important to take action as soon as possible. It may be possible to agree a repayment plan with your landlord.

Contact North Herts Citizens Advice if you need help working out your finances.


Section 21 Self Help Pack