Before using the Homelessness and Housing Advice Portal to get in touch, please read the following points to make sure we are the right people to contact.
1. Do you have a local connection to North Hertfordshire?
Check that you have a local connection to North Hertfordshire before you use the Portal.
North Hertfordshire covers the main towns of Hitchin, Letchworth Garden City, Baldock and Royston as well as many surrounding villages. You can view this map for more detail.
You have a local connection to North Hertfordshire if you:
- have been resident here by choice for six out of the last 12 months, or three out of the last five years; or
- are employed here (casual employment does not count); or
- have a close family member who is resident here and has been by choice for the last five years (this would usually be your mother, father, a sibling or adult child).
If you do not have a local connection to the district, and you are currently homeless, you are advised to contact your own local authority directly. We will usually refer you to the authority where you do have a local connection, although we will consider if there are any special reasons for your approach to North Hertfordshire District Council.
2. Are you looking for social housing?
To apply for social housing in North Hertfordshire, you need to join the Common Housing Register.
If you have a query about your social housing application, or any other question about social housing in North Hertfordshire, please email email@example.com.
3. Do you need advice about a housing issue?
Contact us using the Homelessness & Housing Advice Portal if:
- you are seeking advice for housing problems, such as rent or mortgage arrears, debt problems or tenancy issues
- you are homeless
- you are concerned about being made homeless
A member of the Housing team will then contact you and provide advice over the telephone or invite you in for an appointment.
If you've read the points above and would still like to ask for help or advice, please use the portal to get in touch: