Skip to main content

Accidents at work

The Council's Commercial Team in the Environmental Health Section is responsible for enforcing health and safety legislation in certain categories of businesses in North Hertfordshire.

Businesses are legally obliged to report some work-related accidents, illness and dangerous occurrences under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

The main points to remember are:

  • If an employee, or anyone else (such as a customer) has a fatal or specified injury (fracture, loss of consciousness or hospitalisation) as a result of an accident connected with work, you must contact your enforcing authority (local Council or Health and Safety Executive) as soon as possible to report it.
  • Similarly, if there is a dangerous occurrence (explosion, collapse of a scaffold etc) whether or not anyone is injured, you must report it.
  • If there is an accident connected with work which results in the injured person being away from work, or unable to carry out the full range of their normal duties for more than seven days (not counting the day of the injury itself), this must be reported within 10 days of the accident.

Reporting an accident

All incidents must be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

You can also find information on how to submit an online RIDDOR form

Online applications are preferred and there is no longer a paper form for RIDDOR reporting. Should it be essential for you to submit a report by post, it should be sent to:

RIDDOR Reports
Health and Safety Executive
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
L20 7HS