If you would like to close a highway or road for an event, you need to apply for a formal closure.
Depending on the event, you will either need to apply to us for a Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA) road closure, or to Hertfordshire County Council for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order road closure.
Town Police Clause Act (TPCA) road closure
We administer the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA). A road closure under this Act is limited to short term closures.
Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTRO)
Guidance on road closure and diversion route signing
Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) administer applications for all other types of closures that will require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO), ranging from major events such as music festivals to small street parties.
Advice on the availability of the road(s) you seek to close can be obtained from Hertfordshire County Council at email@example.com
Advice on event and highway safety can be obtained from Hertfordshire Constabulary at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be submitted at least 3 months before the event, together with supporting documentation, including:
- a clear plan indicating the roads to be closed, the location and extent of the proposed closure.
- a detailed plan of your traffic management arrangements, showing how the road closure will be managed by a suitably qualified Traffic. Management Company, including diversion route (except at cul de sacs), with contact details of your traffic management provider.
- a copy of a valid certificate of insurance providing not less than £10 million pounds public liability cover.
- a copy of written approval from Hertfordshire County Council.
- a copy of correspondence to Hertfordshire Constabulary.
The cost of a TPCA is £30.50. Payments can be made online.
The cost of a TTRO varies and should be confirmed with HCC by emailing email@example.com or visiting www.hertfordshire.gov.uk.
Amending a road closure
The legislation for a TPCA (Town Police Clauses Act 1847) does not allow for amendments to be made to a road closure once the Orders have been sealed. Should an amendment be requested, a new application and payment will need to be made.
Coronation events and Street Parties
A guide to organising a street party can can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Further information can be found on the Hertfordshire County Council's Street parties page.