Skip to main content

Events advice and guidance

Information and advice to help you run a safe and successful event.

Tell us about your event

It's a good idea to let us know about your event using the events notification form below.

This information is put into a diary circulated to the North Herts Safety Advisory Group, which enables the group to be aware of events planned around the District and plan accordingly.

The role of the Safety Advisory Group is to offer advice to event organisers and help them identify their legal duties. The group does not issue any approvals for events, nor does the group have the power to stop, limit or place restrictions upon any event. This is without prejudice to the Council or other agencies acting under their own legal powers.

The legal responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of an event lies with the event organiser(s). The event organiser(s) is also responsible for ensuring that the necessary permissions are applied for and obtained before the event.

By completing this notification form your personal details (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) will be shared with the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) membership.

We encourage SAG members to make direct contact with you if they have any questions in order to make the process as streamlined and quick as possible. If you prefer this information to be withheld or have any questions with regard to who is on the circulation list, please contact us at

Event management plan template

If you are planning a large scale event such as a festival you will need an Event Management Plan. A template is attached below to assist you with this. Once completed your Event Management Plan will be circulated to the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) for their information.

Filming in North Herts

We can offer advice and information on suitable locations for filming in North Hertfordshire.

Entertainment Licence

Depending on the activities at your event, you may be required to make an application for an entertainment license. Typically these cover activities such as:

  • the sale by retail of alcohol;
  • the supply of alcohol by, or on behalf of, a club to (or to the order of) a member of the club;
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment (the provision of hot food or hot drink supplied between the hours of 11pm and 5am)

Regulated entertainment is defined as:

  • a performance of a play (for example, a pantomime or amateur dramatic production)
  • an exhibition of a film (excluding the viewing of television programmes broadcast at the time they are broadcast to the general public)
  • an indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (including any combination of the two, for example cage fighting)
  • a performance of live music (for example, singers, duos, bands or a choir)
  • the playing of recorded music (for example, a disco)
  • any combination of live and recorded music (for example, karaoke)
  • a performance of dance (for example, a display of ballet or other dancing)
  • provision of facilities for making music (for example, the provision of musical instruments)
  • provision of facilities for dancing (for example, the provision of a dance floor or similar)
  • any combination of the above
  • anything of a similar nature to the above

For further advice see Online Licence and Permit Applications.

Advice for event organisers

My Community Starter offers a free online resource for people who want to get involved in organising smaller, more straightforward community activities.

MUTA is the trade association for the UK temporary structures and technical textiles industries, advice on marquees, temporary structures and inflatable play equipment (bouncy castles).

Safety guidance

New Draft Purple Guide - new draft guidance by the Events Industry Forum

The Event Safety Guide - legal guidance published by the Health and Safety Executive. The industry recognised guide to health, safety and welfare at music and similar events.

Celebrating with bonfires and fireworks - A community guide to organising bonfires and fireworks safely published by the Department for Communities and Local Government

Fire Safety Risk Assessment – Open Air Events and Venues: this Government guide is for all employers, managers and people responsible for outdoor events and venues.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment – Large Places of Assembly: this Government guide is for all employers, managers, occupiers and owners of large places of assembly i.e. where more than 300 people could gather including large nightclubs, churches, community and village halls.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment – Small and Medium Places of Assembly: this Government guide is for all employers, managers, occupiers and owners of small (accommodating up to 60 people) and medium (accommodating up to 300 people) places of assembly including: pubs, clubs, churches, marquees, tents, community and village halls.

Fire Safety Advice and your Responsibilities - advice from Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service

Hot weather advice: planning events and mass gatherings - Health advice for those planning events and mass gatherings during periods of hot weather in England.

Hot weather and health: guidance and advice - Extreme heat presents a number of risks to health. This guidance helps professionals and the public address those risks.

Fairgrounds and fairs quick guide

The Gambling Commission have a quick guide to help the owners of fairs and fairgrounds understand how the Gambling Act 2005 affects them.

HSE guidance on inflatables

Use of drones

Read the CAA Guidance for keeping your drone flight safe and legal.

If the company are a profit making organisation they will need to hold a Permission for Ariel Work (PFAW) licence.