Skip to main content

Camping site licence

The following information applies to all moveable dwellings other than caravans which are controlled under separate legislation.

The use of land as a camping site for more than 42 days consecutively, or 60 days in total in any 12 consecutive months requires a site licence from the Council. In addition, the use of land for tented camping for more than 28 days a year normally requires an express grant of planning permission. There are exemptions from the licensing requirements and these are set out in section 269 (5) and (6) of the Public Health Act 1936.

Licences are issued with conditions that are appropriate to the site. They normally relate to the layout of the site and the provision of facilities such as sanitary accommodations. It is important that applications are supported by a layout plan showing the boundaries of the site, the proposed positions of tentage, car parking, fire fighting arrangements, sanitary facilities, refuse arrangements, water supplies and access / egress arrangements. (If the plan is submitted as a paper copy please use a scale of no less than 1/500.)

Licence summary

To run a camping site, you may need a licence from the local authority and conditions may be attached to the licence. There are exemptions from the licensing requirements and these are set out in section 269 (5) and (6) of the Public Health Act 1936.

Camping site licences will not be time limited unless planning permission is so restricted.

Legislation relating to the requirement for a camp site licence

Apply online

Apply by post or email

Please contact the Environmental Protection and Housing Team to obtain an application form. There is no fee for this application.

What happens next?

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. The information that you have given us will be used to assess your application. Once an application is received, one of our officers will carry out an inspection of the site. If your application is refused, we will provide reason for doing so and explain your rights of appeal. If your application is granted you will be provided with a list of the conditions along with your licence and the licence will be issued as soon as possible.

There is no statutory period for determining applications; however we aim to determine applications within 28 calendar days.

What happens if something changes?

If anything concerning your site changes keep us informed by completing the form below:

Apply to change your camp site licence

Apply to transfer your camp site licence

Alternatively contact us

Public register

There are currently no licensed camp sites in North Hertfordshire. There is one camp site at Radwell Mill, Baldock operated by The Camping and Caravan Club, which is an exempt organisation.

Applicant / Licence holder redress

An applicant or licence holder can appeal against the refusal of the local authority to grant a licence or against any conditions that the local authority imposes on a licence to the local magistrates’ court.

Alternatively, If you are unhappy about the way that we have dealt with your application please visit Comments, Compliments & Complaints or call 01462 474000.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the camp site operator or caravan site operator - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this does not work or do you do not want to contact the trader, please contact us. Where appropriate, you can also obtain advice from Consumer Direct.  If you are located outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.