Skip to main content

Pavement Licence

The government have introduced a new temporary Pavement Licence to assist businesses with their recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. It allows a business to place removable furniture on the highway adjacent to their premises for customers to consume food and drink purchased from the business.

The request for a temporary licence has been extended until September 2022.

If your premises has been issued a Pavement Licence with an expiry date of September 2021, you will need to submit a renewal request and the appropriate fee to obtain the extended date of September 2022.

Please contact for more information.

Street cafe licensing

You can still apply for a street café licence to put street furniture (tables, chairs, umbrellas, barriers, etc.) on the highway (carriageway or footway) outside a premises for customers to use for the purpose of consuming food and drink purchased there from Hertfordshire County Council.

How does the process work?

Once a completed application, including all required information and the application fee, is received there will be a public consultation period of five working days beginning with the first working day after the application is received electronically by the Council.

At the end of the public consultation period, there is a further determination period of five working days (beginning with the first day after the end of the public consultation period).

If we do not determine the application within the determination period, it is deemed automatically granted for a period of one year (but not beyond 30 September 2021), subject to the standard conditions.

What businesses are eligible?

A business which uses premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption on or off the premises can apply for a licence.

Businesses that are eligible include:

  • Public houses
  • Cafes
  • Bars
  • Restaurant
  • Snack bars
  • Coffee shops
  • Ice cream parlours
  • Businesses where the consumption of food or drink is ancillary to the normal business use e.g. supermarkets

Permitted furniture

The furniture that may be used is:

  • Counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • Tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • Chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • Umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food and drink

The furniture is required to removable and must be removed from the highway outside of the hours permitted by the licence. No fixings into the highway are permitted that would disturb the existing surface.

What is a highway?

Licences can only be granted in respect of highways listed in section 115A(1) of the Highways Act 1980. Generally these are footpaths restricted to pedestrians or are rods and places to which vehicle access is restricted or prohibited.

What about licensing and planning permission?

Once a pavement licence is granted the licence holder will also benefit from deemed planning permission to use the land for that purpose whilst the licence is valid.

The sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises would need to be authorised by the premises licence to allow alcohol to be consumed in the outdoor seating area.

How long are the licences valid for?

A licence granted by the council will last until 30 September 2021 unless subsequently surrendered, suspended or revoked so there will be no renewal process.

Permission for outdoor seating areas on the highway after 30 September 2021 will need to be made to Hertfordshire County Council and should be made in good time to ensure continuity after that date.


A pavement licence will cost a one-off fee of £100 that can be made using the Council’s online payment portal.

The fee is an application fee and is non-refundable if the application is unsuccessful or the licence is subsequently surrendered, suspended or revoked.

How to apply

You must submit the application form provided below to

The application must be accompanied by:

  • A site plan
  • Details of the proposed furniture
  • Proof of public liability insurance
  • Proof that the site notice has been displayed (a template for the site notice is attached below)
  • Payment of the £100 fee using the Council’s online payment portal

If any of the above requirements are not fulfilled the application will not be deemed as complete and the application process will not commence.

Once a completed application has been received, the consultation process will commence as detailed above.

Who does the Council consult?

The Council must consult with the Highways Authority and may also consult the local police.

Can the public object?

As part of the application process a public notice must be displayed at the premises and the application will be published on the Council’s licensing register.

The public may make representations either by emailing or submitting an objection directly on the licensing register.

Standard conditions

Published below is a list of standard conditions that will be attached to all pavement licences.

We may also impose additional site specific conditions where it would be proportionate and reasonable to address specific concerns.

Further information

Further information can be found on GOV.UK.