Abandoned Vehicles

It is a criminal offence to abandon a motor vehicle, or anything that has formed part of a motor vehicle, on any land in the open air or on any other land forming part of the highway.

Report an abandoned vehicle

If you wish to report an abandoned vehicle, please use our online form:

Report an Abandoned Vehicle

If the vehicle is on private land, please contact the landowner directly. If you are the landowner and believe a vehicle has been abandoned on your land, please contact us for more information.

What is an abandoned vehicle?

An abandoned vehicle is a vehicle on any land forming part of the highway, which:

  • is untaxed
  • has no current registered keeper
  • has been stationary for a significant amount of time
  • is significantly damaged, run down, unroadworthy or burned out
  • is lacking one or more of its number plates or contains waste

A vehicle that is parked dangerously or causing an obstruction or you suspect to have been stolen should be reported to the Police.

Under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, the Local Authority may now issue a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 as an alternative to prosecution at court, in addition to the removal charge, disposal charge and any contractors storage and release fees.

A person found guilty of such an offence may be punished on summary conviction to a fine of not exceeding £2,500 or up to three months imprisonment or both.

Untaxed Vehicles

It is an offence under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 to have a vehicle on the road without tax or to have a vehicle on the road which has a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

A SORN declaration is valid for twelve months unless you re-license, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle before the twelve months has expired.

If you wish to report an untaxed vehicle on the highway, please complete the DVLA's online form, or call the DVLA Hotline on 0800 0325202.

If you suspect the vehicle to have been stolen, please contact your local Police station.

Nuisance Vehicles - Repairs

Enforcement action may be taken by the Council but only against those who act irresponsibly as part of a business attempting to use the road as a mock workshop. It is not an offence if the repair arises from a breakdown or accident (but must be carried out within 72 hours unless authorised local authority permission is given).

Nuisance Vehicles - For sale

Enforcement action may be taken if a person leaves two or more vehicles parked within 500m of each other on a road(s), where they are exposed or advertised for sale. Persons wishing to trade are required to apply for a consent street trading licence. For more information please see the Council's street trading page.