Skip to main content

Pay a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

You will get a discount of 50% on your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) if you pay within 14 days of getting it. For example, if a PCN was issued on 30 October, the 14 day discount period will expire on 13 November. If payment is made after the discount period has expired then the full amount becomes payable.

If you do not pay within the discount period you have 28 days beginning with the date of service of the PCN to pay the full amount – for example, if a PCN was issued on 30 October the date by which it should be paid in full is 27 November.

Pay online

To pay online you need:

  • the PCN reference number (beginning with HC)
  • your vehicle registration number
  • a credit or debit card

Penalty Charge Notices will only be available to view and pay online from the next working day after issue.

Other ways to pay

By phone

You can pay by telephone using a debit or credit card on 0300 4560535 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the day of issue). Calls are charged at local rate. Please have your PCN number and vehicle registration number ready when paying by telephone.

By post

Payments can also be made by post using cheques or postal orders. Please do not send cash through the post.

Send your payment together with your completed payment slip (that you can find at the bottom of the PCN) to Parking Services, North Hertfordshire District Council, PO Box 10613, Nottingham, NG6 6DW.

Make cheques and postal orders payable to 'North Hertfordshire District Council'. Write your vehicle registration number, the PCN number and your name and address on the back of your cheque or postal order. Post-dated cheques are not accepted.

Challenge a PCN

If you decide not to pay for your PCN, you can challenge it:

Do not ignore a PCN. They do carry extra penalties if not paid (or challenged) promptly.

If the PCN remains unpaid after 28 days, the Council may contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of the vehicle. A legal document known as ‘Notice to Owner’ is then issued to that person.