Apply for Benefits

You may qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction to assist you in paying your rent or Council Tax. You can check if you qualify by using our online service:

Apply for Benefits

The online form indicates what you may be entitled to and gives you the option of submitting a claim. This claim will automatically be sent to our Benefit Team. We may need to contact you for further information or evidence to support your claim.

How Benefit is awarded

Benefit is awarded depending on your income and savings as well as income received by other members of the household. Anyone can make a claim for Benefit regardless of their income. However, you will not receive Benefit if you have savings of more than £16,000, unless you are over 60 and in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

Please note that Maintenance payments received, Child Benefit, Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance are disregarded, however we still need to know about these, as they are beneficial to your claim.

Certain items may need to be supported by original documents as proof. To prevent any unnecessary delay in paying the benefit you are entitled to, it is very important that you provide any proof requested as quickly as possible. Usually your claim will start from the Monday following receipt of your form.

Don't delay in sending your information

Do not delay in sending in your claim form even if any of the proof we ask for is not available at the moment - you could lose benefit. However, you must send the information as soon as possible. We cannot work out your benefit without it.

You may apply for backdated benefit to allow you to claim from an earlier date, if you can show that you had a good reason for not claiming earlier.

If you have any further queries, please contact us.

Data matching - tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away

We sometimes match your income data, like earnings and occupational pension details, with that held at Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to make sure your entitlement is correct. If there is a discrepancy and you have been overpaid, we will require this to be paid back, and depending on the circumstances we may report to the DWP that a possible fraud has taken place. So make sure you tell us about your changes straight away, rather than wait for any data matching to take place.

Pension credits

If you or your partner are over 60 years old and would like to claim Pension credits, information can be found at GOV.UK or by phone on 0800 99 1234.

Help and advice

Citizens Advice North Hertfordshire can assist with general benefit enquiries. They can also advise you if you are not satisfied with the result of your claim.