Skip to main content

Apply for a Premises Licence

Coronavirus licensing update

The government has announced it will introduce temporary planning measures to allow all pubs and restaurants to provide hot food takeaways in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

As part of the measures the government is introducing to assist the hospitality industry during the coronavirus outbreak, it has been confirmed that planning regulations will be temporarily relaxed to allow pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways of hot food and drinks to deliver to people staying at home.

Ordinarily under planning regulations a change of use class would be required to convert pubs and restaurants to hot food takeaways. Under the temporary measures the government will allow a temporary change of use without the need to make an application. This permitted development right will be time-limited and will last for twelve months.

The government will introduce the temporary measures as soon as it is possible to pass secondary legislation in Parliament.

Licence holders are reminded that under the Licensing Act 2003 the sale of hot food and hot drink between the hours of 23:00hrs and 05:00hrs are classified as late night refreshment and needs to be authorised by the existing premises licence.

If your premises licence doesn’t authorise late night refreshment it can be added by applying for a minor variation.

Importantly, the temporary measures only relate to takeaways of hot food and non-alcoholic drinks. The sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises is a licensable activity under the Licensing Act 2003 and would need to be authorised by the existing premises licence.

If your premises licence doesn’t authorise the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises you could apply to add it to the licence using the full variation process.

All food businesses should ensure that they are registered with the environmental health team at the Council.

Further information is available here.

Should you have any queries, please email

A premises licence is a permanent licence, specific to a premises or location that authorises the licence-holder to carry on a combination of licensable activities.

A premises licence would also be required for a one off event if the number attending the event exceeds 500 people.

The licensable activities that a premises licence can authorise are:

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment (including plays, films, indoor sports, music and dancing)
  • the provision of entertainment facilities
  • the sale of late night refreshment (hot food or drink supplied between 11pm and 5am)

Application process

To complete an application for a premises licence you need to submit the following:

  • a completed premises licence application form from the licence holder
  • a detailed plan of the premises that complies will all requirements (see below)
  • a consent form completed by the proposed DPS
  • the prescribed fee, which is determined by the non domestic rateable value of the premises (see below)
  • documents demonstrating entitlement to work / immigration status in the United Kingdom (if you are applying as an individual)

The plan of the premises should be included with the application, and copied to the responsible authorities as part of the application. The plan of the premises needs to meet the requirements set out in the act and the Licensing Act 2003 (Premises licences and club premises certificates) Regulations 2005, SI 2005/42 to show the following:

  • the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • the location of points of access to and egress from the premises
  • if different from (2), the location of escape routes from the premises
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
  • fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • in a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • in a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • in a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  • the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment, including if applicable, marine safety equipment
  • the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

Unless you have previously agreed with the relevant licensing authority in writing that an alternative scale plan is acceptable to it, the plan should be drawn in standard scale, where 1 millimetre represents 100 millimetres.

The plans are not required to be professionally drawn. What is important is that they are accurate and meet the requirements referred to above.

Visit the GOV.UK website for further guidance on how to complete the premises licence application form.


Non-domestic rateable value


Application Fee

No rateable value up to £4,300



£4301 - £33,000



£33,001 - £87,000



£87,001 - £125,000



£125,001 and above



Advertising requirements

The applicant is required to display a public notice on the premises detailing the changes that you are applying for. This notice must be displayed in view of the public on A4 pale blue paper, and must appear from the day after the application is given to the licensing authority for a period of 28 days.

This applicant is also required to publish a notice in a local newspaper that appears no later than the 10th working day of the consultation period.

The above notices must contain the name of the applicant, postal addresses of the premises (or if there is no postal address a description of the premises sufficient to enable the location to be identified), relevant licensing authority and the date by which any representations in relation to the application need to be made to the licensing authority. They should also contain a statement of the relevant licensable activities or relevant qualifying club activities that it is proposed will be carried on at the premises.

Templates of a these notices can be found attached at the bottom of this page.

How to apply

If you appy online then the licensing authority will serve the application on the responsible authorities. You can email your application to or online using the link below.

If you submit your application by post then you must also send a copy of the application to all of the responsible authorities. A list of these authorities and their contact details can be found attached at the bottom of this page.

The Licensing Team
North Hertfordshire District Council
PO Box 10613

Granting of the licence

At the end of the 28 day consultation, if no representations have been received, then the licence will granted as applied for including any amendments during the consultation period if applicable.

If representations are received then the applicant will be notified and a hearing will take place to determine the application.

All information relating to representations and hearings will be explained to the applicant should it arise.


DPS consent form